In recent decades, cremation has grown in popularity. In fact, according to the NFDA, the rate of cremation has already surpassed burial and will continue to do so. Due to this growing popularity, our funeral home is proud to offer cremation services in our private on-site Crematory.
What is a Cremation Service?
Cremation is when the deceased’s body is placed in a cremation container and then incinerated, leaving ashes behind. Families then receive their loved one’s ashes and can choose to bury, scatter, or keep them. Typically, the ashes are held in a container such as an urn.
Why Choose Cremation?
There are several reasons why you may choose a cremation service. Some reasons include religious or personal beliefs, desire to be more environmentally friendly, and the cost. Although cremations services typically cost less than burial services, that shouldn’t be a sole deciding factor. You should choose whatever funeral service type is right for you and your loved ones.
Cremation Service Types
Not only can you have a visitation and funeral service with cremation, we strongly encourage you to do so. Every life deserves to be remembered, and a service gives family and friends the opportunity to honor their loved one’s life and begin their grief journey.
Cremation services can take place before or after the cremation, and you also can choose to hold a visitation before the cremation occurs.
There are several cremation service types you can choose from, including:
- Service with a visitation before the cremation takes place. The deceased’s body will be embalmed and prepared for viewing. Guests will get to view the body and have a funeral service, and the body will be cremated afterwards.
- Direct cremation. With this option, the deceased’s body is cremated immediately after the death without a viewing first.
- Cremation with a service. The deceased is cremated right away and then a funeral service is held after.
- Cremation with a graveside service. The deceased is cremated right away and then a funeral service is held at their gravesite afterwards.
- Cremation with a celebration of life service. Like the other options, the deceased is cremated right away. Celebration of life services typically take place after the funeral and are more personalized than a traditional funeral. They also can take place outside of the funeral home.
Cremation Service Personalization Ideas
Depending on your desired final disposition, there are several ways to personalize cremation services, including:
- Having a graveside service before the burial of your loved one’s cremated remains. This way family and friends can pay their final respects. It’s a time to reflect on the deceased’s life.
- Holding a service for scattering your loved one’s ashes in a memorial garden or another meaningful location. Which places were special to your loved one? Where did they visit often? These might be good locations to scatter their ashes.
- Placing the cremated remains in multiple urns so everyone can have their loved one’s final resting place close to them. This way each individual can choose whether they want to keep the ashes or scatter them somewhere special.
Ready to Plan a Cremation Service?
With our array of personalized options, there is an option for every family’s wants and needs. Our staff is confident we can help you plan a cremation service that truly pays tribute to your loved one.
Visit our funeral home or contact us for more information about cremation in Dubuque.